One of the most common bone diseases is osteoarthritis. Between 60 and 90 percent of people over the age of 50 have problems with the joints and the spine, but the age limit on osteoarthritis falls downwards, also affecting the younger ones.
What is osteoarthritis?
Osteoarthritis is often confused with arthritis, but arthritis is joint inflammation, and osteoarthritis is a disease in which the joint cartilage wears out, weakens and loses its elasticity, and the adjacent bone tissue changes – it forms spikes.
What do these changes lead to?
Gradually it becomes impossible to distribute the forces of severity and muscle contractions on joints. The surface of the cartilage becomes uneven, seals appear, and in some places, the bone beneath is exposed.
What do the patients experience from osteoarthritis?
The movements from the damaged joint are carried out with higher friction, and this leads to severe pain. The patient experiences constant discomfort and is restricted in their actions and movements.
What causes osteoarthritis?
Age predisposes one to it, but it is not the sole decisive factor. A series of minor traumas on a bone could cause osteoarthritis that can lead to changes in cellular elements and to cartilage corrosion. Heredity also plays a significant role. Inherited osteoarthritis is called primary osteoarthritis.
The excess weight is detrimental to the skeletal system as a whole.
Secondary osteoarthritis may develop in the case of incorrectly healed bone fractures, flatfoot, spine distortion, an asymmetric pelvis, changes in the shape of the knee joints, congenital or acquired deformities of the hip as a result of illnesses, and more.
How does osteoarthritis develop?
Osteoarthritis develops progressively. In some patients, as women are more likely to suffer from it, it causes physical disabilities.
How is osteoarthritis treated?
The treatment consists of removing all the factors that burden the joint in preventing injuries, colds, and the overcooling of joints and surrounding muscles. Gymnastic exercises are used to strengthen the musculature, physical, and healing procedures, as well as analgesic and anti-inflammatory drugs.
Did you know?
- Women suffer from osteoarthritis 10 times more often than men do. The reason for this is the hormonal changes after menopause.
- If your mother suffers from it, the disease also threatens you.
- Knee joint osteoarthritis is the most common form of this condition. Most women above their 50s suffer more from this disease.
- Another common type is hip joint osteoarthritis, known as coxarthrosis. The cause of it can be congenital illness or inflammatory disorders of the hip.
- Coxarthrosis at an early age may lead to the dislocation or disease of the hip joint.